What is a CSCS card?
The CSCS card was created to reduce the number and severity of workplace accidents and injuries in the UK’s construction industry. It was determined that having a single, unified system of skill and safety certification would make it easier for employers and managers within the industry to identify and hire HSE-trained, qualified and experienced people, and to encourage anyone interested in a career in construction to seek such training and qualifications on their own.Apply for CSCS Card
Today, nearly all employers in the UK’s construction industry require new hires to have the appropriate CSCS card before they can begin work on-site, and in many cases before they will be considered for a position.
How can I get a CSCS card?
- First, you will have to apply. The simplest way to do that is to either call us during our opening hours or apply on our website. You can book your HS&E Test (see step 2 below) at the same time you apply for the CSCS card. This is also commonly known as the “CSCS Test”.
- Pass the HS&E Test. One thing all CSCS Cards have in common is the requirement that you take (and pass) the Health & Safety Test before applying.
- Check the requirements for the particular CSCS card you are applying for. In order for your CSCS Card application to be successful, you will need to fulfil certain requirements (such as courses or NVQs) which vary depending on what colour card you are seeking. You should see the entry on this website for each individual card to learn all the details.
What if my qualifications were earned in another country?
If you have achieved a qualification from another country, you can appeal to UK NARIC to have them recognized for application of a CSCS Card. You will need to include the UK NARIC certificate and accompanying letter, a detailed CV, a copy of your original certification (and/or a translation into English if at all possible), and a description of the work you will/currently do on site.
In addition, you must select one specific occupation to be endorsed on the CSCS Card.
How long is a CSCS card valid for?
The CSCS Cards are valid for up to five years depending on the type of card you have. Certain cards will expire after three years, and others are valid for only 6 months. You will have to check each type of card’s entry for specific details
How long will it take to receive a CSCS card?
In general, it takes less than 30 working days after we have received all of the paperwork and certification documents for you to receive your card.
What do I do if I lose my card?
Call us to apply for a duplicate card. If your original card was still valid you will be issued a replacement card without any additional testing or certification.
How do I renew my card?
Renewing a CSCS card which is about to expire is often a simpler process than qualifying for a new one. You have two options:
- Industry accreditation (renewing a CSCS Card without qualifications) A blue, gold or black CSCS card marked ‘Industry Accreditation’ on the back can be renewed by re-taking the appropriate HS&E test, unless they have been expired for more than 6 months. After that, the process becomes more complicated. Please call us to find out more.
- Typical renewal (renewing a CSCS Card with qualifications) This is a simple process, essentially identical to applying for a new card. Just like when you apply for a new card, you’ll have to take your HS&E test again.
- When your temporary (red) CSCS Card expires It is not always generally possible to renew a temporary CSCS card. If your temporary card has expired, please contact us to find out how to proceed.